Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year, New You

I find the month of January irritatingly uncomfortable. For me, it is absolutely the worst time to be a dietitian.

You would think the worst time to be a dietitian would be November and December, when society puts diet-consciousness on the back-burner in order to bask in heavenly hams and delicious, well, divinities. But, I actually enjoy that time and relish the break from the Inquisition. That’s what I call it - the Inquisition. It’s the period of time in January when anyone and everyone wants to talk about diets - and not just talk about diets, but ask every conceivable question about diets.

Let me clarify, being asked questions about food, the technical information, doesn’t bother me. The straw that breaks the camel’s back for me is when I am called upon by friends, family, and co-workers with the dreaded phrase, “Put me on a diet.” Or, what’s worse, “Keep me accountable.”

No. No, is my answer. No, I will not. Please find some other way to maintain your resolution for better health and fitness. Please do not involve me in your plight; your plight of what is sure to be… well, failure. There, I said it. I’m sorry. I just have never - and I mean never - actually seen someone make healthy changes during this time of year and have those changes be maintained with any semblance of longevity.

My support, my welcomed involvement into your “New Year, New You” routine is in June. Come to me in June. July. Better yet, come to me in August when the summer swimsuit paranoia is over!
Tell me then that you want to be healthy and fit and you will have my utmost care and concern. But, I can’t stand it in January.

I think the attempt to get fit in January is almost cliché. Maybe that’s the wrong word. A trend? A fad? It used to be one of many New Year’s resolutions that people would choose from, but these days “everybody’s doing it”. And, I don’t think this fact is lost on the Great American Industry.

Every holiday on the calendar gets bigger each year; more marketed, more advertised, more consumer-driven. I heard someone say one time that Mother’s Day was created by the greeting card industry, backed by the paper mill industry, backed by the tree-growers association, etc, in an attempt to make money. And, clearly we see how the other holidays (Christmas, sigh) have done a complete metamorphosis into strictly commercialized money-making propaganda.

Therefore, why would the turn of a New Year and the diet/fitness industry be any different? After all, there is certainly money to be made here. Gym memberships, diet books, cookbooks, online diet programs, diet foods… it’s a virtual deluge these days. If there has been an insurgence of fanatics attempting to reap financial reward from this industry in recent years, then currently we’re being hit with a tsunami.

So, right now you’re probably thinking I’m crazy. You're probably wondering what in the world could be so wrong with everyone wanting to get healthier? After all, aren’t we the most obese nation in the world?

Yes. You’re right. And, I promise I’m all for healthier lifestyles. I’m all for decreased fat consumption and increased exercise. I love smaller waistlines. My issue lies with the timing and the trendiness of this season. I didn’t spend a ton of time in college studying Behavior Change and Motivational Psychology, but I’m pretty sure long lasting and effective changes aren’t seasonal.

The people I’ve seen be most effective in changing their health status have done so with great determination and quiet resolve. It’s usually a decision they make, often after a scare such as an abnormally high cholesterol number, a loved one dying from a heart attack, or a new diagnosis of high blood pressure or diabetes. It’s not in January. Not after people have gorged themselves in December and are desperate to stop feeling guilty about it.

So, what’s the answer, then? What’s the better way to go about it? Is there an answer? Yes. Yes, I do have an answer. But, ask me in June.

2 comments:

  1. That is all well and good, little lady, but I'm still going to ask you what I should get in the caf EVERYDAY. -Donna

    ReplyDelete

The Baby Book

I am knowingly and willingly part of a parenting generation that feels the need to document everything about our kids -- birthdays, holida...