Friday, March 19, 2010

Meet Tika

Sartika Buangin (nickname Tika)
It’s no secret that I want a baby more than life itself. But since I can’t have a baby right now, what’s the next best thing? Adoption? No, I’m not adopting a baby until I have a baby’s daddy. So what’s the next best thing after that? Sponsorship? Yep, that’s right!

MEET TIKA, my little girl in Indonesia!

I know, I know, she’s not really my little girl. Please excuse and allow the indulgence, thank you. I just like saying that she's my little girl in Indonesia. Makes me smile. Isn't she precious?! I saw that sweet little face and just knew I wanted to sponsor her!

Stephanie and Maria
See, a few months ago, my roommate Stephanie traveled to Uganda and met the child that she had been sponsoring for several years. It was a beautiful moment that touched both of their lives. And it got me thinking that I should sponsor a child as well.

Here's the thing: I am very budget conscious. And not even budget conscious as much as bill conscious. I don’t have debt and I don't like monthly bills or any kind of contract that involves a monthly payment. The cost to sponsor a child is $38 a month which comes as a monthly bill [cringe]. Now, I may go and blow $38 on a night out on the town or on new shoes, but a monthly bill bothers me. But the more I got to thinking about it, the more I realized that $38 a month would definitely be going to extra health insurance if I had a child of my own. Or diapers. Or formula or food or clothes or piano lessons or ballet shoes or a prom dress… I mean, kids cost money! And I want a child, desperately. So maybe my spending should start reflecting that. If I don’t start getting self-less with my spending now, how will I ever make it when I have a real child of my own?

Not to mention the obvious reason to sponsor a child: poverty. I get sick when I think about my material wealth and how I don't like to wear the same outfit two weeks in a row, much less the following year. Tika probably wears the same clothes everyday, day after day. She was born into poverty. I was born into wealth. $38 a month is the least I can do. And with the way Compassion works, the money goes directly to her and only her. With that money she can be enrolled at the Bukit Harapan Student Center where she'll be provided with Bible studies, nutritious food, medical checkups, handicraft classes, educational materials, English courses, and academic support. Without that money, she stays at home and cannot attend. That's pretty powerful if you ask me.

Even more important than supporting her financially, I have committed to write her, encourage her, and to pray for her daily. “Children in poverty are susceptible to believing its darkest message: You don't matter,” says Compassion. I will be sure to write Tika and tell her that she not only matters to me, but she matters to God, and that He loves her very much. I will be praying for her to feel His loving arms wrapped tightly around her. And Lord willing, mine will be one day as well.

http://www.compassion.com/

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful Jessica. You will make a wonderful mother one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats so awesome sis!! I already love my niece Tika :) I want to go meet her with you when you go.

    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, you are going to make a wonderful mother one day, and this is such an awesome thing to do in the meantime. Tika is precious, just like you.
    -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so wonderful! I'm proud of your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sweet, jess. she's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe, I LOVE TIKA!!!! I think you made an awesome choice to adopt/sponsor her. How sweet. We recently sponsored an adorable little girl named KC. Her pic is on my fridge. I'm behind on life, so I just now saw this post. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I'm a little late reading this... but Tika is beautiful! I'm excited to see how she blesses your life as you radically change/improve hers!

    ReplyDelete

The Baby Book

I am knowingly and willingly part of a parenting generation that feels the need to document everything about our kids -- birthdays, holida...